Fine Art/A.M. Gorter picture I inherited

Question
"Spring" by A.M. Gorter
"Spring" by A.M. Gorte  
I have read some of the questions posted and am in perhaps the same "boat".  I have a beautiful picture........perhaps painting...as the brush strokes are visible....by A.M. Gorter...signature perfectly visible also.  It is titled "Spring".  How can I tell it's value to insure it? And how do I know whether it is a print or an actual painting? It was purchased in Minnesota in the mid early 1930's as a wedding gift. The family who purchased it were very affluent in the state, owning several lumber mills, so I know it has value.  Can you tell me anything about it or the artist? I have looked on the Internet....and found the artist.....but no mention of "Spring".  It is a beautiful scene of a country cottage...probably English.

Answer
Dear Judy,

I hope you are doing well. I believe your painting is a vintage print. It was a popular method at the time to apply a print made after a painting and apply it to canvas. They would then add a varnish using brush strokes to give the appearance of originality and depth. It can be very hard to tell it is a print for many people.

Since it is very difficult for me to be definitive about the medium through photographs, I suggest you take it to a local art or antique dealer for verification. To insure a piece of art, insurance companies require it have a formal appraisal. This would cost you around $200-$300 or more. It would be wise to get it looked at before going to the expense of engaging an art appraiser.

The artist's full name is Arnold Marc Gorter,Dutch,(1866-1933). If the painting was purchased in the mid to early 1930's, it would have to be one of the artist's last paintings.

I hope this information is helpful. I also hope I am wrong and it is an original oil!

Kind regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley