Fine Art/Oil painting

I have an oil painting my mother bought in an antique store in Philadelphia Pa. over 50 yrs ago. She paid $50.00 for it. It is a rather large oil on canvas with very old looking boats with sail in a harbor. The signiture looks like G. Hobart. Can you identify this artist, and where he or she came from?  

Hello Janine,  From your brief description I cannot determine who painted the work.  Having said this identifying a work by using a possible signature alone is comparable to finding a needle in a large haystack....  Please reply to this message and attach a good quality image of the painting.  What size is it?  Are there any labels or writing on the back of the work?  Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.