Fine Art/San Gregorio (An Carracci)

San Gregorio
San Gregorio  
I have an engraving by Sim Watts 1766 of a painting by Carracci above are the words San Gregorio underneath the engraving it says 'In the collection of His Majesty' and the phrase 'CR Edit' The paper appears to be good quality it measures approx 24inches by 14inches. I purchased it from the owner of Sledmere House in Yorkshire. I have attached an image and would appreciate any info you could give.  Martin

Hello Martin,  I am not sure what the significance, if any, of the work you have is.  The subject is most likely a reproduction of some of the preparatory drawings Annibale Carracci created for the San Gregorio alter piece in Bologna, Italy.  A quick check of the inventory of the British Royal collection does not list any similar works.  Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.