Fine Art/Agnes Bernauer, identify a painting/artist

My great grandmother has a painting that she says has hung on her walls for 40 plus years and says has been in her family as long as she can remember. She is from Munich Germany and brought it here from there. She says it is of Agnes Bernauer. It is about 10.5 " by 17.5", a gorgeous portrait of a woman in a green dress, long red hair, and her hands are handcuffed behind her back. It took years before I noticed the handcuffs!! At the bottom there is an artists monogram that appears to be a L (possibly an I) and O on top of one another as well as the year 1900. There is a stamp on the back of the frame in german that my grandmother says is the name of the art dealer and their address.  I obtained a copy of THE CONSISE DICTIONARY OF ARTISTS' SIGNATURES but was unable to find a match, nor anything promising on line..... any ideas to lead me in the right direction?
Thank you.
Aimee Dunn
Lincolnville, Maine

Hello Aimee,

I have some very interesting information on your painting. Please email me at

Kind regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.