Fine Art/prints on canvas

Dear Mr. Twyman, I am in a dispute with a man in Australia who says my painting ia a print,  I say it is original.  Would you explain the difference of a print on canvas as opposed to an original painting.  The painting is a peter Hayward and there is no copywrite and no dots when I looked at it with a loop.  Thanks for your time.

Peter Hayward again? Seems I've been over this ground recently.
You are correct about the printed dots, but there are prints that do not have pixels as they use a different process to print them.

Modern day Giclees as an example, look exactly like the original in most cases and are printed on both canvas and paper.

Older prints on canvas are common. Publishers wanted the painting look, so they delvoped methods to print on a low end canvas so they could frame with no glass.

A painting will show brush strokes of some kind, however some artists lay paint down flat and try to smooth the texture so no brush stokes are visible. If you have a print with a varnish and the varnish was brushed on, it can appear as paint brush strokes, while it is in fact only a clear varnish with inks underneath.

In some cases, prints are hand embellished to give the appearance of an original.

I suggest you take the piece to anyone in your area that has been framing or selling art for a number of years and get an opinion. Needs to be examined in person.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.