Fine Art/prints on canvas

Question
img
img  
Dear Mr. Twyman, I am in a dispute with a man in Australia who says my painting ia a print,  I say it is original.  Would you explain the difference of a print on canvas as opposed to an original painting.  The painting is a peter Hayward and there is no copywrite and no dots when I looked at it with a loop.  Thanks for your time.

Answer
Peter Hayward again? Seems I've been over this ground recently.
You are correct about the printed dots, but there are prints that do not have pixels as they use a different process to print them.

Modern day Giclees as an example, look exactly like the original in most cases and are printed on both canvas and paper.

Older prints on canvas are common. Publishers wanted the painting look, so they delvoped methods to print on a low end canvas so they could frame with no glass.

A painting will show brush strokes of some kind, however some artists lay paint down flat and try to smooth the texture so no brush stokes are visible. If you have a print with a varnish and the varnish was brushed on, it can appear as paint brush strokes, while it is in fact only a clear varnish with inks underneath.

In some cases, prints are hand embellished to give the appearance of an original.

I suggest you take the piece to anyone in your area that has been framing or selling art for a number of years and get an opinion. Needs to be examined in person.

Dan

Dan Twyman