Fine Art/1947 oil portrait in exceptional setting

Question
signature
signature  
Greetings, sir.  I have a unique and seemingly high quality oil portrait with the subject in a distinctive setting, dated 1947 and by an unknown (to me) artist.  It's 20"h by 24"w with no identifying marks evident anywhere except for the signature (image attached).  My guess is the frame is original.  I can forward a photo of the full painting next if you would like.  I DO know the subject's name, and am almost certain that the painting was executed in the Midwest, most likely in Ohio.  If you are unable to identify it, please consider sending me in another direction.  I thank you so much for your time and effort, and hope you have a wonderful day!

Best wishes,

Charlie

Answer
Hello Charlie,
First, thank you for such a positive note.  

I am looking at a 1.25" x 1.5" jpg file with a blurry signature, so I am not of much help since I can't begin to tell whose John Hancock this is.  Step 1: Since your eyeballs are closer to the picture than mine are, tell me what your best guess is as to the lettering.  Maybe give me some possible permutations.  First initial, Last initial?  Step 2:
try sending through a bigger picture.  

Very possible that the artist is still alive today!  More than likely it not a famous or listed artist...many portraitists are local, unshown painters just trying to make a living.  But you never know.

I would highly encourage you to seek out some antique dealers, fine art purveyors, and possibly auction houses in the mid-west for their opinion.  Try Stuart Holman in Cincinatti for example.  

Best of luck,
Stu

Stuart Cartwright