Fine Art/Artist Identification

B. Carlisle Oil Painting
B. Carlisle Oil Painti  
I inherited this painting from a great aunt, the artist name is listed on but as B. Carlisle. I contacted the auction house that sold the painting, the only thing they could tell me was the artist was European. The painting measures 20" X 16", it's signed lower right B. Carlisle. The frame measures 24 3/4" X 20 1/2". It was painted on a Blue Boy Brand canvas board. Painting and frame are in excellent condition. How can I find out the first name of the artist, date of birth and death if applicable, and country of origin?

I see that you are looking to purchase art on
and are trying to determine whether $100 is a good price to pay.

It is.  Even in the worst case scenario, let's say you had a complete fake or a knockoff done at a Chinese sweatshop.  Would you cover that stain on the bathroom wall for anything less than $100?  Always room in the home for a pretty picture.  

I don't know that you'll ever truly identify more information on B. Carlisle than you already have. There are a lot of one-hit wonders in the oil painting realm.

I will add that if you wish to "invest" in art, you'd be best served developing a relationship with a local art gallery owner who hangs artwork you like.  Discuss art with a gallery owner.  Tell her/him your budget, what you like, ask questions.  Owning art is a lot more interesting and fun than just the art is the learning process and the sharing with other people.  You aren't exactly going to be enjoying Chardonnay and Brie with the UPS man who brings you this painting.  Internet purchasing leaves me a little flat, and falls far short of buying something you can get your eyeballs on.  Just my opinion.   

Good luck,

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration