Fine Art/Artist Monogram

Question
Painting and Monogram
Painting and Monogram  
This is an old family heirloom-type painting.  Nobody knows where it came from or who the artist is.  It measures approx 6ft x 4ft (It's BIG but I've never measured it exactly).  

In my research I think it looks Hudson River so that why I'm starting with you.

Any info/direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Answer
Hi John,
That may be the most beautiful painting I've seen yet in answering over a hundred inquiries on this service.  Also, without doubt the finest presentation of painting & signature closeup in a single graphic.  Well done!   Not to mention offering me a piece of pie!

Possibly a Hudson River artist, and my first thought was that David Johnson had some very serious curlicue signatures, but it is not his monogram.  It looks more like "DGA" to me?  

I would label this painting "Barbizon".  You would do well to consult with an international art house, too as it may well be British or European.  Have you sent your photograph to Sotheby's, Christies or Bonhams?  

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/pubweb/publicSite.r?sContinent=USA&scre  

I am going to continue to think about this one.  It's a beauty.  Are you thinking of selling it?   

Stu
stucartwright@yahoo.com

Stuart Cartwright