Fine Art/Criccieth Castle

Criccieth Castle
Criccieth Castle  
Thought to be one of Turner's paintings. Actually Henry B Gastineau's works. No signature. Canvas has the name of early art store in NYC. Painting is oil on canvas. Given to my Great Aunt in 1944. Believed scene was painted 1838 but canvas dated 1860 Gastineau died 1876. Your thoughts

dyserth castle
dyserth castle  
Hi Glenn,
I'm not at all a European art expert, but check out this Gastineau that was auctioned at Bonhams in June 2007.   11"x14" it was estimated at 600-800 pounds sterling, but did not sell.  Titled "Dyserth Castle"...I think it contains many elements of your picture though it hard to tell from the tiny pictures AllExperts Service sends through to me.

Anyway, Bonhams in NYC or London would be an excellent venue for you to seek more information.  

Best regards,

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration