Fine Art/Head Scratcher

Question
Painting
Painting  
Hi Stuart- I purchased several paintings from a prominent families estate sale when I lived in Texas. This is one of them that I need help with. The sale was held at the residence of Joshua Lucius Halbert and his wife Ida long deceased. His father was basically the founder of Corsicana Texas and Joshua was a long term mayor and lawyer. His relatives include Beauford Jester who was a Governor of Texas. The signatures reads John M. Matthews? 1923. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

Answer
Hello Scott,
Head-scratcher, indeed.  I can find no "John M. Matthews" listed, but there is a John W. Matthewman who was a British painter of the late nineteenth, early twentieth Century whose palette this could be, though it's unlikely.

I would give the experts at Heritage Auction galleries in Dallas, TX a shout.  They may even be familiar with the prominent Texas family you reference, and know of their collection?

Looks like your painting could use a light cleaning, and should be laid flat and restretched.  I urge you to consider using a qualified conservationist.

Best of luck,
Stu

Stuart Cartwright