Fine Art/Help identifying artist

Question
Pic of painting
Pic of painting  
Hi-I recently purchased what I believe to be an impressionist? painting at an estate sale in upstate New York. It is either pastel or oil on canvas framed in a gallery style(painting not touching frame except from back) frame. It is on a ancobilt stretcher and signed in lower right, but I cannot decipher it. The frame has a sticker on the back that reads "Mayfair Gallery and Art Center, 274 Saratoga Rd.,Scotia NY, Phone Sch'dy EX. 9-3306". The gallery of course is not there anymore. I can only attach one image, but can furnish a close up of the signature if requested. Any help in any direction would be appreciated-Scott

Answer
Scott,
Whadd'ya pay?  $10?  Hey, good find!

As you are aware, Anco Bilt Stretcher Co. was HQ'd in Brooklyn & Glendale, NY (basically Scotia) during the post WWII period.  The phone number is a give-away as to this.  They manufactured tongue and groove stretcher bars that fit together tightly without peglocks.  Jackson Pollock used them.

I would call what you have "modern impressionism" and date it to the 40's or 50's.  I'm not too well versed in this period, save to say that the modernists like Pollock, Krasner, and others were coming out of NYC to places like Woodstock, Saratoga and Lake George.  This looks a lot like work produced by Edwin Walter Dickinson (look him up),but likely isn't.   My guess:  artwork produced by a student at Skidmore College.

Peter at Saratoga Fine Art might be of help to you, especially if you are from the Capital District area.  

Good luck in your hunt.   Meantime, enjoy your art!
Stu  

Stuart Cartwright