Fine Art/Louis Kronberg

L. Kronberg
L. Kronberg  
QUESTION: Can you tell me anything about this picture?  It is under glass and there is a very old stamp on the back, with the Title   "Dancer in White" ,  
Artist   Kronberg
U.S.Print Co.  414-823
Thank you in advance.

ANSWER: Hello Roseann,
Sure.  Louis Kronberg is quite famous and did many portraits of ballerinas and beautiful women.  I will attach some biographical notes below.  I believe you have a print, executed by the U.S. Print Company of Cincinnati.  It may be as old as the turn of the century or at least early 1900s.  Given the artist and the beautiful subject, this was undoubtedly a popular picture at that time.

Given it's age, you may have a print of some value and you may wish to consult with local print galleries. would be a good stop for you as you do more research.  

Your picture certainly says "Degas" in a big way, and very much reflects the tonalist qualities of Whistler.  

I hope you enjoy it.  It's beautiful!

Kronberg, Louis (American, 1872-1965):

Louis Kronberg was a painter, art dealer, advisor and teacher who was born in 1872 in Boston, Massachusetts and died in Palm Beach, Florida in 1965. He lived in Boston until 1919, when he moved to New York and later Palm Beach, and throughout his career he traveled back and forth to Paris.

Kronberg studied at the Art Students League and at Boston’s Museum School under Tarbell and Benson, where he earned a Longfellow Traveling Scholarship. He studied at the Academie Julian in Paris (1894-1896) with Benjamin-Constant and Jean Paul Laurens and privately with Collins. In Paris, he became enamored with the works of Edgar Degas and proficiently painted ballet and Spanish dancers within theatre settings. After Bernard Berensen, he frequently went to Paris to buy art for the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum and from 1921-1922 he painted in Algiers and Spain.

Kronberg was an Associate of the National Academy (1935) and a full Academician. He was a member of the Boston Art Club; the Guild of Boston Artists; Salmagundi Club; Lotos Club; Salon des Beaux-Arts, Paris; Copley Society; American Water Color Club; New York Water Color Club; Rockport Art Association and more.

His awards include medals form Pan-Pacific Exposition in San Francisco (1915); Salmagundi Club (1919); International Exposition, Paris (1937); Chevalier Legion of Honor, France (1951).

Kronberg’s work is represented in the permanent collections at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; Metropolitan Museum of Art; Isabella Steward Gardner Museum, Boston; Butler Art Institute; San Diego Museum of Art; Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, NY: Joslyn Museum; New York Historical Society; Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia; Art Institute of Chicago; Indianapolis Museum of Art and in Parisian museums; Luxembourg Museum; Societe Nationale and the Musee D’Orsay.

Although Kronberg is considered a Tarbellite because he trained with Tarbell and Benson at the MFA, he was highly influenced by the French Impressionists and especially the pastels and oils of ballerinas painted by Edgar Degas. His best work was executed prior to 1915 before he became nearsighted. He was known for his philanthropic efforts and financed A.C. Goodwin’s career for over 15 years.

Biography from R.H. Love Galleries:
An expatriate born in Boston, Louis Kronberg spent much of his career in France learning the pastel technique from Edgar Degas, French Impressionist.  Kronberg painted many graceful figure works and became a popular portraitist of the early 20th Century.  He was best known for his pictures of the theater and its performers, especially dancers and dancing.

In Paris, he acted as a buyer for Isabella Stewart Gardner of Boston.  He also painted in Algiers and Spain.  He returned to the United States after twenty-five years and became an important figure in the Cape Ann, Massachusetts art colony.

Kronberg attended the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and the Art Students League in New York City, where he studied under William Merritt Chase.

His early oil paintings were in an academic style, somewhat dark, with a subdued tonal effect.  However, influenced by the techniques of James McNeill Whistler, the compositions of Edgar Degas, and his own interest in oriental woodcuts and engravings, Kronberg evolved a new personal style, which was animated, dramatic, and adventurous in design.

Kronberg's paintings were shown in important exhibitions and acquired by leading museums such as the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo, the Metropolitan Museum in New York, the Muse d'Oursay in Paris, the San Diego Museum of Art, the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and, due to the great friendship the artist had with Isabella Stewart Gardner, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, also in Boston.

Michael David Zellman, "300 Years of American Art"
Peter Falk, "Who Was Who in American Art"
Web-site of Comenos Fine Art

QUESTION: Do you have any idea of "value".

This really falls into either a "Prints" category or an "Antiques" category.

...but I would tell you that an auction house would likely value the original of this painting at $3,000-$5,000 depending on condition, size, etc.  Some have sold much higher than this, many less.  Usually a good antique print will be worth about 10% of this range, so maybe $300-$500.  But go have a good print shop look at it.

Good luck Roseann.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration