Fine Art/Oil Painting by Everett Woodson

Question
I have a winter scene oil Painting by Everett Woodson, it is a winter scene of a large barn with a snow covered field  surrounded by a old fence and one large dead tree in front and snow covered woods in the background, Is there any value in this painting.? Thank You Walt friebel.

Answer
Dear Mr. Friebel,

Thank you for your question.  My area of specialization is rather restricted to surrealist art, so I am afraid I don't know very much at all about Everett Woodson.  I did locate the following information about Mr. Woodson, however:

Everett Woodson was born September 3, 1933 in Independence Missouri.  He is known for his "barn" paintings.  The central theme of his paintings are barns in different types of settings, seasons and locations.  Collectors of Woodson's work often will seek particular settings or certain seasons over others.  His very large oil paintings are especially prized.

It is not surprising that Everett followed the same path as his ancestors, several of whom also achieved national recognition as professional artists. Woodson received his formal training at the Academy of Fine Arts in Kansas City.  Mr. Woodson has earned several awards for his farmhouses and barns including first place at the Missouri State Fair, Mid-America Fine Arts League, and at the Truman Bi-Centennial.

Mr. Woodson's genius is tied to reality and vividness of his subjects. "His barns are weathered and peaceful, his skies are threatening or somber, the snow is fresh or soiled" - J. Martin Fuller, Kansas
City Artist Students Newsletter.

Woodson's style is very distinctive and stands out wherever it is seen. He signs his paintings "Everett Woodson" and occasionally "E. Woodson".
---
Judging purely from this information and the fact that Everett Woodson is a collected artist, I would conjecture that your painting is indeed worth something - especially if it is large -, though I am not an appraiser so I cannot suggest any figures.  The worth of a painting depends on numerous factors including condition and provenance (who all has owned the painting).

I have advised others to consider looking at auction results, as this gives an idea of what similar paintings have gone for on the market over the past few years.  I especially like www.artprice.com because you can search for individual artists, access auction records, and receive notifications for upcoming sales, all at a 'pay-as-you-go' rate (so you don't need to buy a full subscription).  Otherwise, perhaps there are other experts here who can help you further regarding your painting's value.

I hope this is helpful, and I'm sorry I cannot offer any specifics for you.  It sounds like you have a lovely painting.

Good luck with your further research, and thanks for writing.
Kind regards,
Elliott King

Elliott H. King