Fine Art/Painting by Hank Day (?)

Hank Day Painting
Hank Day Painting  
I received a painting from my parents. My mother remembers buying it in the late 1960s - early 1970s in New England - most likely in the area of Sturbridge, MA.  It is a still life, approximately 15" x 13". I believe it is oil on canvas. It is signed and I believe it read "Hank Day". The frame looks to be pieced together with scraps of wood.  I'm wondering (a) if Hank Day is a listed artist (I haven't been able to find anything) and (b) if it is worth have the painting retouched (during a move, the painting was scratched in two places & the frame was scratched) and put in a new frame.  I've a picture - please excuse the light created by the flash. I live in the greater Wilmington, DE area.

I know of no Hank Day, nor can I find a Henry or Hank Day or any other H Day that is a listed artist.  

Looks like a nice still life study, and a good size.  I don't think it worhwhile to have professionally touched up.   Usually, even if a painting is by a well-known artist, dealers who would purchase it are most keen to NOT have a painting that has recently been touched up...they usually want to buy the painting in original form and have their restorer fix it.  

Looks to be a nice picture.  I hope you hang it and enjoy your original artwork every day!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration