You are here:

Fine Art/Painting Reproductions


I know that there are people who hand paint reproductions of the great masters paintings for display etc. They are legal and some mark their paintings so they won't be mistaken for the original. There is a profession/word/title for these people. I have heard it used only once and can't remember it. Can you tell me the word I'm looking for?
Thank you,

I am not sure of the term you seek.  There are numerous outfits that offer hand-painted oil reproductions of masterpieces, and they are easy to find on the web.  Perhaps contact one of these firms?  

I don't think you are referring to "Giclee" which is a relatively new process for reproducing artwork on canvas using ink-jet printing technology.  (And is fun to say!)

In my humble and often-should-be-ignored opinion, I'd rather spend money on true original art than a reproduction, even hand-painted.  But to each, his/her own!

Best of luck,

Fine Art

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stuart Cartwright


American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and


I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration

©2017 All rights reserved.