Fine Art/Pierre Georges Jeanniot

le Diner a l\'Hotel Ritz
le Diner a l'Hotel Rit  
Dear Mr. King,
My sister has what looks to be an original painting by Jeanniot in her home.  It was driving me crazy because I could not decipher the signature, so for years I've been unable to identify the work.  I have since discovered it to be le Diner a l'Hotel Ritz.  It is signed and dates (1904 - I think, frame obscures)with just the last name of Jeanniot in the lower right hand corner.  It is a very large painting, but I don't know how big.  Here is my question - could this be the original?  I have tried to find out where the original is located but really am not too adept at this sort of thing.  My sister's former husband frequented yard sales hunting for special things.  They gave me two sketches in black and white (could be prints) one by Whistler and one by Rembrandt (3 trees).  They were always finding very unique art work, like an extremely old portrait of Abraham Lincoln.  Can you help or perhaps direct me to a museum / art place that can?  Thanks so much for your consideration and expertise.

Dear Deanna, if I may,

Thank you for your question.  First, let me say that this does fall outside my area of expertise but I'll take a stab at it.  

Scanning the internet, I could not locate a collection for Diner a l'Hotel Ritz, but it is an extremely popular image with numerous posters and prints available.  Given its ubiquity, I would strongly doubt your friend has the original painting, though I, too, cannot readily find any indication of where the original is located. There are processes that can make a print or reproduction look like an oil painting.

I would suggest contacting someone who specialises in this period of art.  As the painting is so well known, I would imagine that a specialist in this period may know straight away where the original can be found.  That may be someone here at, or you may try contacting a museum with a large collection of post-Impressionist works, such as the Courtauld Gallery in London, which boasts an excellent collection (albeit one without any Jeanniots, I  believe).  Their contact details can be found at

I hope this puts you on the right track.  Good luck with your research.

Kind regards,

Elliott H. King

As a professional art historian, I can answer questions related to the art and life of Salvador Dalí. I am neither an art broker nor an appraiser, so I cannot answer questions regarding a work's value or authenticity; however, I can refer you to individuals who work in the Dali market.

I am an art historian specializing in Salvador Dalí. For over ten years, I have been a pioneer in the critical study of ‘Late Dalí’ (i.e., the artist's work after 1940). I have presented extensively on aspects of Dalí’s production at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Tate Modern, L’Université de Lausanne, Cerisy la Salle, the University of London, and Harvard University, and I have been a guest lecturer at Cambridge University and the University of Chicago. I have published several essays about Dalí in addition to my book, 'Dalí, Surrealism, and Cinema' (Kamera Books, 2007). I have also contributed to major international exhibitions of Dalí's work, including the Dalí Centenary Exhibition (2004-05) and 'Dalí & Film' (2007-08).

BOOKS "Dalí: The Late Work", High Museum of Art, Atlanta in association with Yale UP, 2010. "Dalí, Surrealism and Cinema", Kamera Books, Herts (UK), 2007. ESSAYS, ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS • “Little Black Dress, Little Red Book: Dalí, Mao, and Monarchy (with Special Attention to Trajan’s Glorious Testicles)”, in Michael R. Taylor (ed.), The Dalí Renaissance: New Perspectives on His Life and Art after 1940, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, 2008, pp. 90111. • “The Prodigious Story of the Lacemaker and the Rhinoceros”, in ibid, pp. 190204. • “Crazy Movies That Disappear”, in Matthew Gale (ed.), Dalí and Film, Tate Publishing, London / Museum of Modern Art, New York, 2007, pp. 214229. Published also in Spanish as "Dalí y el cine", Electa, Madrid, 2008. • “Le temps dalínien fait mouche: Réflexions sur les « montres molles »”, in Astrid Ruffa, Philippe Kaenel, Danielle Chaperon (eds.), "Salvador Dalí à la croisée des savoirs", Éditions Desjonquères, Paris, 2007, pp. 3752. • “Winged Fantasy with Lead Feet: The Influence of Llullism and Hiparxiologi on Dalí’s Mysticism”, in Hank Hine, William Jeffett and Kelly Reynolds (eds.), "Persistence & Memory: New Critical Perspectives on Dalí at the Centennial", Bompiani Arte, Milan, 2004, pp. 189193. EXHIBITION CATALOGUES: ENTRIES • Dawn Ades and Michael R. Taylor (eds.), "Dalí", Bompiani Arte, Milan, 2004. EXHIBITION CATALOGUES: BIBLIOGRAPHIES, FILMOGRAPHIES AND CHRONOLOGIES • “Dalí Filmography”, published in Matthew Gale (ed.), "Dalí and Film", op.cit., pp. 230231. • “A Cinematic Chronology of Dalí, 19411989”, in ibid, pp. 160163. • Compiled the most complete bibliography of Dalí resources todate, published in Dawn Ades and Michael R. Taylor (eds.), "Dalí", op.cit., pp. 568598.

Ph.D, Art History and Theory (2010) University of Essex, Colchester, England M.A. with Distinction in Dissertation, History of Art (2001) Courtauld Institute of Art, London, England B.A. summa cum laude, Art History (hons., Phi Beta Kappa) University of Denver, Denver, Colorado