Fine Art/Questions about painting

Question
Picture of painting
Picture of painting  
I was given this painting by a family friend that recently passed away.  I would like to know anything you can tell me about the painting and the artist as well as the value of the painting.  Please see attached photo.  I also have a photo of the signature and some writing on the back of the frame, I am going to attempt to attach them to this e-mail, if I can not do so I will send an additional e-mail with these 2 attachments.  Thank you for your help.

Answer
Hi Tiffany,
First, thanks for submitting your question in excellent order.  It's surprising how many folks don't even bother to send me a photograph of their painting, not to mention a closeup of the signature, the verso of the artwork, or any other significant detail.  You graduate at the top of the class with your thoroughness.

However, I'm afraid you do not have a painting done by a listed artist.  While it is in a handsome package with the ornate frame, this looks to be a manufactured artwork designed for decor.  Many paintings are knocked out quickly in such fashion to serve as decor pieces.  You'd be surprised how many container ships from Asia are filled with such "art."  The illegible signature is a strong clue as are both the stretcher pieces, the canvas and the picture itself.  

This is not to say your family friend left you with nothing of value. It looks to be a large piece that would add to any room.  It might retail for $200- $300 depending on exact size.  A very nice gift and something by which to remember your family friend.  

You should continue to enjoy this mighty scene every day and through it the memory of your friend.

Stu  

Stuart Cartwright