Fine Art/A. Sehring (Print or Original?)

Question
A. Sehring
A. Sehring  
Mr. Cartwright,
How do you determine if a picture is a print or a copy?
I have a picture, framed and underglass. It is that of a little boy walking on the beach, by Adolf Sehring.  It has a label on the back with some numbers. It is covered on the back with paper that has Transart Industries. I am curious to know if is a print or copy. Also, do prints of famous artists have value as well?
Thanks
canvaslady42

Answer
Hello again Roseann,
I just answered your question about the ballerina print.  Same holds here.  

Do take it out of the frame to examine it, if possible.  Any etchings or pencil marks around the outside might indicate it is a limited edition print.  Though I suspect this was a widely printed image.  

Watercolors pretty much identify themselves, you can just see the "wash" of paint over the paper.  And oil paintings usually have quite some texture, and are executed on canvas (easy to spot the weave from the backside, if not the front) or sometimes on board.  

If ever in doubt, don't hesitate to take it to a local frame shop or better still a gallery owner.  

Here's a little bio you may already have on this artist:

----------------

A Classical Realist oil painter of rural landscapes, figures and portraits and also a sculptor and lithographer, Adolf Sehring, in his paintings, depicts scenes of vanishing America.   Of his work, he says:  "I paint the simple America; not the sophisticated city but the humble country folk." (Krantz 296).  His style has been compared to Andrew Wyeth and Winslow Homer.

He has also had portrait commissions including one of Pope John Paul II, which is now in the Vatican Collection.  He has held the position of Lecturer to various art organizations including the Lehigh Valley Art Group.

Sehring, born in Russia to a Russian mother and German father, immigrated in 1949 to America from Germany where he had studied for three years at the Berlin Academy.  He settled in Tetley Plantation Somerset, Virginia.

Sources include:
Les Krantz, American Artists, p. 293-294
R.R. Bowker, Who's Who in American Art, 1993-94, p. 1055

Stuart Cartwright