Fine Art/Trying to find artist name

QUESTION: I find this painting in a aunts storage,i have looked everywhere to find out more about it,who painted it. It has artist name but cant make out hand writing. She's had it for along time,but just not sure if its real or worth anything. Thanks

ANSWER: Hello Suz,
Thanks for your inquiry.  Looks like a really fun and interesting picture.  Hard to tell from a tiny photo that comes in via the AllExperts web service, but I might first guess you have a reproduction.  As I say, hard to tell, but the framing and matte give me this impression.  Have you had it out of the frame?  If so, you'd want to look for any pencil marks around the outside of the picture that were obscured by the frame.  Perhaps a fraction such as 78/250 indicating it was a limited edition print?  If I had to guess, I'd say it may be a reproduction of an image that appeared in a children's storybook.  Chris Van Allsburg is an artist who does children's books and springs to mind, though I'm not sure this is his.  The flying snow reminds me of his illustrations in "The Polar Express".  

I don't know the artist offhand from the picture, but if you'd like, take a focused closeup of the signature and send it along.

Also, don't be shy about toting your picture along to a local art gallery or print shop and asking a lot of questions about it.  Most good gallery owners are surprisingly approachable and love to talk about all artwork.  

Artist signature
Artist signature  
QUESTION: Heres a picture of the artist signature. I cant make it out.Sure your more used to reading their hand writing.

Sure looks like "Kiel" to me.  But I cannot find a listed artist with this name (or "Wiel" or other variants) that would match your art.  I'm sorry, but it may be the work of an obscure illustrator.  Doesn't make it any less compelling.

Best of luck...enjoy your artwork!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration