Fine Art/Watercolor signed Gavan

Watercolor signed
Watercolor signed  
I have a watercolor that was framed and matted a number of years ago that was in the family. Could you give me any information in regards to this watercolor which is signed (right lower corner)Gavan? Thank you.

Hello Midge,
You certainly have a nice looking painting.  I can find in my database of listed artists one obscure artist named Gavan.  This is Allan Gavan and he is listed as follows:

2005 Inc. -
Dunbier, Lonnie Pierson (Editor) The Artists Bluebook - 34,000 North American Artists to March 2005   Pg. 479   

He is listed because he had a watercolor painting sold at auction on Nov 18, 1989 in lot #36  at Eldreds Auction house.  This 20" x 14" watercolor on paper was titled "Ring Neck Pheasant".  It had been estimated at $200-$300 and hammered for $66.  I can find no image of the work.

I hope this gives you at least a start on your research.  It may be that your Gavan is totally unrelated, but the watercolor medium is the common theme.  I hope you enjoy your original artwork every day!

Happy New Year.  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration