Fine Art/Watercolor signed Gavan

Question
Watercolor signed
Watercolor signed  
I have a watercolor that was framed and matted a number of years ago that was in the family. Could you give me any information in regards to this watercolor which is signed (right lower corner)Gavan? Thank you.

Answer
Hello Midge,
You certainly have a nice looking painting.  I can find in my database of listed artists one obscure artist named Gavan.  This is Allan Gavan and he is listed as follows:

2005   AskART.com Inc. -
Dunbier, Lonnie Pierson (Editor) The Artists Bluebook - 34,000 North American Artists to March 2005   Pg. 479   

He is listed because he had a watercolor painting sold at auction on Nov 18, 1989 in lot #36  at Eldreds Auction house.  This 20" x 14" watercolor on paper was titled "Ring Neck Pheasant".  It had been estimated at $200-$300 and hammered for $66.  I can find no image of the work.

I hope this gives you at least a start on your research.  It may be that your Gavan is totally unrelated, but the watercolor medium is the common theme.  I hope you enjoy your original artwork every day!

Happy New Year.  
Stu  

Stuart Cartwright