Fine Art/The Worth Of A Picture

I have a picture that I was told was an antique & worth $. It has two white tigers side by side at the bottom of the picture on the left side it says a first name that I cant read & a last name that looks like Dixon then a date of October 1903.  Is this worth anything? Attached are two pics of it.

Hard to tell, I only have a thumbnail size image of two tigers that came through.  But it looks to be an old oil painting, that perhaps needs a cleaning?

It may be that you have a painting done by a British artist named Harry Dixon who lived 1861-1942.   There are several records of his paintings having gone through auction, and bringing from $900-$1,800.  

The $1,800 picture (9" x13" )was sold at an October 2008 auction in NYC conducted by Bonhams & Butterfields.  If you are in the US, and you wish to sell, you could contact them.  Incidently, all three pictures were also of tigers, and look similar to your shot.

Of course, value of your picture depends on many variables: size, condition, signature, composition, and ultimately, what a buyer is willing to pay!  Nevertheless, you probably have a work by a listed artist which is more than 98% of the folks who send me questions can claim.

Best of luck,

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration