Fine Art/what artist painted these pictures

Signed Harry Wells
Signed Harry Wells  
QUESTION: I would like to send you more than one photo of some of my paintings to find out the artist and anything you might be able to let me know about them if possible.  Is there a way to attach more than one at a time?

ANSWER: Nancy,
I like this picture.

See my other note regarding where you should mail your picture files.

Fall day
Fall day  
QUESTION: Do you know any artist named harry wells? or where do I look for someone who knows fine art.

Hi Nancy,
Getting interesting.  Although I find little or no evidence of your Harry Wells in art databases, as I search through the internet on Google I am turning up various tidbits suggesting there was an illustrator/painter by this name.  For instance:

* The Corcoran Gallery in Washington DC lists this long ago exhibition in its history:  

Feb 15, 1927  -  Feb 27, 1927
Pen and ink drawings on wood, or "Wood Points," by Harry Wells

* There is a letter in the Smithsonian Archives of Art to a Mrs. Walter Tuckerman from Harry Wells suggesting that she review his artwork.  The 1930s timeframe would be about right. Website link =

* Here is a link to a webpage that features a signed illustration (about halfway down the page) done in 1940 by Harry Wells, that looks similar to the signature on your painting.   

*Davenports Art Reference Price Guide lists thousands of artists, and has a single line for "Wells, Harry 20thCentury, European" and evidently this artist had a watercolor of a cathedral 21"x30" sell for $600 though no date or auction house is listed.   Your painting looks distinctly American to me, so I don't think this is the same artist.

In sum, your Harry Wells seems pretty obscure.  I'm certain I cannot trace him any further, but you might look into that Smithsonian letter.  

If you can trace back the provenance, owner-by-owner perhaps you will pick up more tid-bits of information.  

As for value, check with any local gallery or auction house and they will happily give you an estimate.  I can't tell the size or condition of your painting, but it is handsome and could perhaps bring north of $1,000 though I am shooting in the dark here.

Good luck,

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration