Fine Art/artist signiture

oil painting
oil painting  
Hi I need help to identify this artist signature? It's an oil painting I believe at least 40 years old. The letters are difficult to see. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks ***garrett

Thank you for sending in your question.  Alas, I have no clue.  

One trick I tried was to put your snapshot through photoshop software and twiddle with the contrast/brightness and other color controls.  Sometimes this will isolate a particular brushstroke.  

If I had to guess I might say "Clancy" ???   

This looks like it may be a pretty vibrantly colored landscape or impressionist piece from the 1960s or 70s as you point out?

You might try a local gallery where they would have ultraviolet lights and other tools to bring out the signature.  Be advised you might be on a goose chase, as 98% of the framed works out there are not completed by listed artists, rather it is commercial or manufactured decorative art.  Not to say it is valueless, just not "fine art".

I wish you luck with your research.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration