Fine Art/Watercolor signed Gavan

kathleenvansandt wrote at 2009-08-21 10:18:03
I just bought a nice watercolor from the thrift store today and it is by Joe Gavan, and I see that my picture looks very much like the picture on the website.  Red roofs and billowy clouds....I could not find any more info on Joe Gavan

bronzedroosteratning wrote at 2009-11-21 14:32:30
I also have one as described. I'm in Florida. I was going to post a link to the duscussion going on on another site, but I don't think it will be allowed here.

Patti wrote at 2010-04-11 15:45:33
I, too, have a watercolor that I just got from my mother that is signed "gavan" in the lower right corner.  Very similar style..it's a covered bridge scene.  I thought it had been given to my grandfather when he retired in in the 70's.  I know it was special to him and I thought it was because he knew the artist.  I have also been trying to get more info.  I thought he may be connected to Watt & Shand store in Lancaster, PA!?

Vikki wrote at 2012-04-04 13:20:46
I too have a signed art piece by Gavan.   Love it.

Framed by Peter Watson Studios in Detriot, MI

Freeme wrote at 2012-04-28 15:06:16
I just bought 22 beautiful watercolor paintings from a garage sale signed "gavan" with the "v" underlined. Several are clown caricatures happy and sad, a couple look to be scenes of a French village or cafe, and the majority are Asian fishing village scenes. The woman that sold them told my wife that they were left at her fathers boarding house in New Jersey by the artist. She wasn't sure of when that would have been. I hope someone can shed some light on who gavan is.  

Darcy wrote at 2016-01-21 14:34:13
I also have a very similar water color. Quite large. It was a wedding gift to my parents around 1943. It was said that the artist: GAVAN: was one of Walt Disney's original illustrators.  I can't really find any information on him.

BF wrote at 2016-08-15 00:32:32
I have a signed GAVAN watercolor that I was told was commissioned by Frank Sinatra.  Small man in a tuxedo with his back to the viewer playing a baby grand and a super sized gorgeous red lipped brunette in an animal print sarong appearing to be his musical muse.  Great piece, wish I could find more out about him.

Stuart Cartwright