Fine Art/artist barrister oil painting

B wrote at 2009-04-23 19:32:26
Hi, I also purchased a winter scene with a stream in the middle instead of the mountains.  I paid 50 cents with the old heavy wood frame on it.  I know I'll get my money's worth out of it.  I'm from Wadena MN.

sandi wrote at 2009-06-19 21:42:26
I also have a Barrister snowscape painting from the '70's.  I bought it in Keene NH.  Very very pretty!  Enjoy your painting!

Garry G. wrote at 2009-06-20 00:23:31
I bought a Barrister painting at a second hand store in Northern California. As expected, it's a snow setting with pine trees, a river and an old house off to the side. It actually looks really nice, but again, I couldn't find any information about an artist named Barrister.

Roger B wrote at 2009-11-17 19:21:52
Barrister was a painter living on Cape Cod, Mass. It is said that the only time he could paint was when he was drunk. His paintings are usually of mountain stream and winter scenes.

He was painting these types of painting long before Bob Ross started.

They may not be considered "fine art" but a lot of "fine art" shouldn't be call art.

sandi wrote at 2010-01-19 19:47:11
I have a dear friend that saw my Barrister painting and would love one.  If any of you want to sell yours, pls list it on ebay if possible so she can bid on it.  She really wants mine, but nope!!! :-)  

(I put one of the previous answers here too.)

Thank you!  

mike wrote at 2010-02-03 00:21:15
i have a barrister canvas oil painted framed. 3/57 to the last person i can take an offer for mine. it is a very nice painting!

mn wrote at 2010-02-24 04:05:20
I have a beautiful barrister painting, that i am selling on craigslist.

RCB wrote at 2010-03-29 22:51:44
Barrister was a painter who live in Provincetown, Ma. It is said that he did his best painting when "drunk" and he did.

He was before Bob Ross and is a style that some people would not call a fine art work.

Not every artist belongs in the Lourve or the MMA.

Some paintings are for us regular folks and are nice to look at.

rebeccavandamme wrote at 2010-11-28 01:38:15
have two oil paintings by Barrister.One lareger than the other.Both are snow covered pine trees. One with a stream in it.  do want to sell these soon...Father bought these about 35 years ago.  

LO from LA wrote at 2011-01-16 16:59:52
We also own a Barrister, it is roughly 36" x 48".  It is also a snow scene, snow covered trees with a creek running thru it.  It is nice....peaceful to look at.  Was given to my father-in-law more than 30 years ago.  

cc wrote at 2011-05-22 01:49:54
I ALSO have the evergreen/river/rocks Barrister cert # 400357. Purchased it in early 70's from Artistic Interiors, house party in Livonia Michigan. The cert on the back of the frame claims it is an original and may not be reproduced except with permission from Artistic Interiors.  Looks like we all got duped.

Linda B wrote at 2011-12-08 01:22:15
I have a small canvas painting from this artist.  Snow covered pine trees with a bridge and small creek in it.... It's very beautiful.  I enjoy this and have had it for 20+ years.  I wonder if in time this artist will be considered "fine art"...?

I also wonder how many of these paintings are floating around.

OK I'm Out wrote at 2012-06-22 20:26:44
I'm hereby outing myself too--yesterday I too bought a Barrister I found stacked among a pile of worthlessly tacky prints in a fairly upscale thrift store in Palm Desert, CA (the Southwest Church store on Washington Ave near the I-10).  I was once a research intern at the LA County Museum of Art in a modernist art department, so I can just imagine my former colleagues rolling their eyes, shaking their heads, and tapping their tongues!  Something pulled me into this very simple little painting of two heavily snow-laden pine trees, one off to the edge near a frozen creek in the foreground with a smudged forest of blue-gray pines in the background beneath an early evening darkening, barely-white and gray-clouded sky.  

I think my old love of tonalism surfaced when I saw this, though it's admittedly more like tonalism mixed with a bit of kitsch.  Nevertheless, it's more than peaceful.  I think it's a tad mystical.  Add a ruined abbey or a tiny hooded monk on a stroll, and I'll have a Casper David Friedrich in New England.

No exaggeration: I would bet that even Whistler would like this little painting of grays, steely blues, and muddled whites.  

(Hahaha--and this little beauty was marked $2--probably because the wooden frame has a very dirty beige canvas inner frame that I'll clean, stain, or replace--and it happened to be half-off of paintings day, so this became my one buck joy!)  

Jim wrote at 2012-07-31 03:23:28
I just picked up a "Barrister" over the weekend! It's only 8x10, but it's much different than those described above.

It is a winter scene, but only one pine off to the side, old barn in the middle, bare deciduous trees on the left, no stream, water or mountains. Very little color, mostly black, charcoal & smudgy white with a charcoal frame. It's really nicely done.

Sarah Redrow wrote at 2012-10-23 15:49:10
I have a Barrister with snow covered pine trees and mountains in background.  One bare branched tree in middle of picture.  It is 24" by 48".  Would love to have an idea of worth, since I got it off of my neighbors trash as he was moving, and he said take it, I don't want it!

Brad wrote at 2012-11-12 05:39:24
The Barrister name is a fictitious name. These snow-scape paintings by "Barrister" were mass produced overseas and sold in the United States. As best I can tell, they are from the early 1970's and were found in the "Starving Artist" sales out of hotels. The starving artist sales continue to this day, they are not producing this painting however. Each year the artwork changes.  

They are original artwork, not machine produced. There is no telling who painted these pieces though as it was painted on an assembly line with each artist doing his or her own part of the painting.

My opinion, I like them, they look great. They have wonderful colors for decorating, but they are not really that collectible as "art". More as decoration.

travis wrote at 2013-01-09 04:31:07
i have recently moved to a new house and have found a barrister painting. It is quite larg and is of course a snow scene but it does not match any of the discreptions above..mine has several evergreen trees and a creek running through it..and a mountain in the foreground with a log cottage..i am trying to research this painting if any can help..please let me know..thank you  

rod fisher wrote at 2013-12-08 19:19:31
Well these were all interesting if not informative or satisfying answers.  My father bought no less than 20 of these in the seventies and gave them to me and my 8 siblings on Christmas.  the descriptions are all the same.  They do appear to be by the same artist but even if they were from overseas as one of the respondents said it is still possible.

I do believe that many of these could be made available but cant say for sure at this point.  keep your eyes peeled for crags list and or ebay.  we may just flood the market.  

Vic wrote at 2014-08-05 20:19:13
Yes, I am on board with the Barrister. I purchased mine at a thrift store in St. Petersburg, Florida, for $3.50 (size is 8X10). It was in an original frame of an avocado color. The difference between mine and descriptions of others is mine was painted on wood. Artists were known to take with them to the wilderness as they were easier to paint on. Therefore, I am incline to believe Barrister was/is a real artist and the artwork was not mass produced.

Jeanne wrote at 2015-03-15 01:48:18
I too have this lovely winter scene with Barrister written in the bottom corner. I bought it in Montreal 30+ years ago then saw the same one in a hotel lobby in Orlando Florida in the 80's.

I remember buying it from a young guy that was selling them door to door. He had a bunch of different ones all rolled up.

When he rolled this one out I loved the scene and still do :)  

Marcy wrote at 2015-05-12 18:32:25
I have a Barrister I would like to get rid of it is a larger one with winter scene plus cabin by the bridge. Dont know to too much about it

Niez wrote at 2016-05-10 16:11:11
I have several Barrister paintings.  I bought them more than 30 years ago at a "Starving Artists" show in the suburbs of Chicago.  The painting was unframed and I think I paid less than $25 for it.  I still have no idea who this artist is, and yes, all of the paintings are of winter scenes.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration