Fine Art/oil on canvas

May I send pictures of an oil I inherited for an evaluation and hopefully, artist identification?  It is signed.

Hello Dotty.
Absolutely, yes!  

Send me a digital picture of the entire front of the painting.  Let me know if there is any signature on painting...anywhere.  Often if there is no signature on the front, there may be many clues in pencil or charcoal on the reverse or on stretcher bars.  Even if there is an illegible signature, give me your best guess as to what the letters are.

If you have trouble taking a digital photograph and uploading it to your computer and finally attaching it your next email, find a friend who is adept.  It is pretty easy for someone familiar with computers.

I told the AllExperts service I will only take 4 questions per day, so I may be 'maxed out' on any given day, but there are about half a dozen experts in the fine arts category.  I am most knowledgeable in American artists of the pre-WWII timeframe.  Other experts know much more about European art, prints and other matters.  

Good luck in all your art research and above all enjoy your art!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration