Fine Art/Artist wrote a personal message on a serigraph

Question
I am considering buying a signed serigraph poster by a 1960/70's era artist. I really like the poster. But here's the catch -- in addition to signing his/her name the artist also wrote a personal message to the original collector --"For Bob and Mary Smith." (Not their real name.) However, because a poster does not have broad margins the artist wrote directly on the graphic image area above a horizontal line.  Two questions -- 1. Does the personal message and/or 2. Writing directly on the graphic image in any way devaluate the serigraph? Although the message/signature (beautiful handwriting in pencil) provides some interest/history/authenticity, it changes the artwork, and even somewhat detracts from the strong, clean image. On the other hand it is the artist's signature and makes the poster unique. What are your thoughts?

Answer
A dedication is a funny thing, some collectors like the idea while others do not want someone elses name on their artwork.  If a masters work has a dedication, it can increase the value quite a bit.  If you have a signed poster with dedication from and event etc., it is an interesting collectable with visible history.  So it really is a mixed bag when you look at the big picture.

Dan

Dan Twyman