Fine Art/Cosmic Rider

Question
QUESTION: Dear Elliott,
I have purchased a Dali litograph in 2005 at an auction in Hungary, the titel is The Cosmic Rider (if my translation is correct). I also have the EA abbreviation on the right hand side and the signature on the left. However no identification, date, series number, etc was attached to the picture back then. Now I am about to sell it and would want to get more information in order to supply potential buyers, if possible. What would you suggest, or do you have any useful tips? I have photos if that would help you to identify. Many thanks, Peter from Hungary

ANSWER: Dear Peter,

Thank you for your question. It would be very helpful if you could please send me an image, at which point I may be able to offer more help.  There is a work called Cosmic Horseman -- also known as Cavalier Cosmique and as Memoire du Temps Perdu (Memory of Lost Time) --, but there are issues with that work so I would prefer to see an image before saying much more on that.   

Kind regards,
Elliott

Photo1
Photo1  
QUESTION: First of all sorry for the mis-translation, this must be the mentioned piece: Cosmic Horseman. Attached see a picture which hopefully will be of help. I look forward to your comments, suggestions. Kind regards,
Peter

Answer
Dear Peter,

Thank you for your quick reply. First, I must preface that I am not a professional authenticator nor an appraiser, so information I have is based wholly on others' research.  For more information, I would recommend contacting a professional, such as the Dali Society #www.Dali.com# or Frank Hunter at the Salvador Dali Archives in New York.

According to Albert Field's 'Official Catalogue of the Graphic Works of Salvador Dali', the Cosmic Horseman -- also known as Cavalier Cosmique and as Memoire du Temps Perdu #Memory of Lost Time# -- is not an authentic Dali work.  I feared this might be the case, and so I asked for an image because I didn't want to cause undue alarm; however the work you sent is indeed the same as that illustrated in the Field catalogue.  According to Field, Leon Amiel, who had contractual relations with a number of publishers, signed a certificate stating the work was published in 1982; however, Field describes the image as 'a pastiche by an unidentified hand', adding that Dali signed an affidavit in December 1980 declaring that he had stopped signing prints after that date. Based on Field's research, then, it would seem that Cosmic Horseman is a work that Dali had no hand in producing or signing.  I should add that the image is also not listed in Bruce Hochman's price guide to Dali graphics, again suggesting that something about it is unusual.  

I'm sorry not to have better news for you, but, again, I would advise seeking the opinion of a certified appraiser to determine your work's actual authenticity.  

Good luck,
Elliott

Elliott H. King