Fine Art/Dali Litho

Cavalier de l\'Apocalypse
Cavalier de l'Apocalyp  
QUESTION: What can you tell me about the attached Dali litho titled: Cavalier de l'Apocalypse?

ANSWER: Hello, Jon,

Thanks for your question.  Please note that I am neither an appraiser nor an authenticator, so the information I supply is taken from others' research and expertise.  If you are in the market or considering selling a Dali graphic, I would strongly advise seeking the services of a professional in the art market.

The title of the lithograph is 'Les cavaliers de l'Apocalypse'.  According to Albert Field's 'Complete Catalogue of Graphic Works by Salvador Dali', it was printed in 1970 by Joseph Foret, Paris in an edition of 217: #1/197-197/197 on Rives, I-X #Roman numerals# on Arches, and 10 HC #hors de commerce -- An impression pulled outside the edition for the personal use of the master printer and the printer-collaborator, if any, or the publisher#.  Prints were signed by Foret on the lower left and Dali on the lower right.  The print should measure 56.7 x 76.8 cm on 73.5 x 94 cm-sized paper.  4000 greeting cards were also made using this image.

According to Bruce Hochman's 2007 'Annual Price Guide to the Graphic Works of Salvador Dali', this lithograph would market for $15,000.  Please note that this may be higher than actual market, but it gives you a ball-park range, as it were.

I hope this is helpful.  Please let me know if there's anything further with which I can assist.

Kind regards,

QUESTION: Thank you for your timely response Elliott.  The print that I have is numbered to /900, and has a certificate from the Circle Gallery Limited in San Francisco CA.  I have noticed several of these on art auction sites, EBay, etc.  What is your opinion of this particular edition?

Dear Jon,

Thanks for your follow up.  As I am not a certified appraiser, I really cannot comment further on your edition, though that fact that it does not conform to Field's description is evidently suspicious.  Certificates of authenticity can be fake as well, of course, and it is curious that your edition is numbered to 900 whereas the Field catalogue specifies an edition of 217.  Given that there are occasional errors in Field's catalogue, you may want to approach a certified appraiser or professional Dali authenticator on this issue; options include, but are clearly not limited to, The Salvador Dali Archives in New York, the Salvador Dali Society in Los Angeles, and Bernard Ewell in Santa Fe, NM.  Each can be found easily on the web, and they will likely have more to share regarding this specific Circle Gallery edition.

Good luck and best wishes,

Elliott H. King

As a professional art historian, I can answer questions related to the art and life of Salvador Dalí. I am neither an art broker nor an appraiser, so I cannot answer questions regarding a work's value or authenticity; however, I can refer you to individuals who work in the Dali market.

I am an art historian specializing in Salvador Dalí. For over ten years, I have been a pioneer in the critical study of ‘Late Dalí’ (i.e., the artist's work after 1940). I have presented extensively on aspects of Dalí’s production at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Tate Modern, L’Université de Lausanne, Cerisy la Salle, the University of London, and Harvard University, and I have been a guest lecturer at Cambridge University and the University of Chicago. I have published several essays about Dalí in addition to my book, 'Dalí, Surrealism, and Cinema' (Kamera Books, 2007). I have also contributed to major international exhibitions of Dalí's work, including the Dalí Centenary Exhibition (2004-05) and 'Dalí & Film' (2007-08).

BOOKS "Dalí: The Late Work", High Museum of Art, Atlanta in association with Yale UP, 2010. "Dalí, Surrealism and Cinema", Kamera Books, Herts (UK), 2007. ESSAYS, ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS • “Little Black Dress, Little Red Book: Dalí, Mao, and Monarchy (with Special Attention to Trajan’s Glorious Testicles)”, in Michael R. Taylor (ed.), The Dalí Renaissance: New Perspectives on His Life and Art after 1940, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, 2008, pp. 90111. • “The Prodigious Story of the Lacemaker and the Rhinoceros”, in ibid, pp. 190204. • “Crazy Movies That Disappear”, in Matthew Gale (ed.), Dalí and Film, Tate Publishing, London / Museum of Modern Art, New York, 2007, pp. 214229. Published also in Spanish as "Dalí y el cine", Electa, Madrid, 2008. • “Le temps dalínien fait mouche: Réflexions sur les « montres molles »”, in Astrid Ruffa, Philippe Kaenel, Danielle Chaperon (eds.), "Salvador Dalí à la croisée des savoirs", Éditions Desjonquères, Paris, 2007, pp. 3752. • “Winged Fantasy with Lead Feet: The Influence of Llullism and Hiparxiologi on Dalí’s Mysticism”, in Hank Hine, William Jeffett and Kelly Reynolds (eds.), "Persistence & Memory: New Critical Perspectives on Dalí at the Centennial", Bompiani Arte, Milan, 2004, pp. 189193. EXHIBITION CATALOGUES: ENTRIES • Dawn Ades and Michael R. Taylor (eds.), "Dalí", Bompiani Arte, Milan, 2004. EXHIBITION CATALOGUES: BIBLIOGRAPHIES, FILMOGRAPHIES AND CHRONOLOGIES • “Dalí Filmography”, published in Matthew Gale (ed.), "Dalí and Film", op.cit., pp. 230231. • “A Cinematic Chronology of Dalí, 19411989”, in ibid, pp. 160163. • Compiled the most complete bibliography of Dalí resources todate, published in Dawn Ades and Michael R. Taylor (eds.), "Dalí", op.cit., pp. 568598.

Ph.D, Art History and Theory (2010) University of Essex, Colchester, England M.A. with Distinction in Dissertation, History of Art (2001) Courtauld Institute of Art, London, England B.A. summa cum laude, Art History (hons., Phi Beta Kappa) University of Denver, Denver, Colorado