Fine Art/Dali painting

Question
dali
dali  
Elliott,   I have found a Dali work that Iam interested in. Can you tell me anything about this work?  Thank you!

Sorry, I forgot to attach the pic on my first email.

Answer
Dear Jon,

Thanks for your question.  The painting is Allegory of an American Christmas.  It is an oil and gouache on cardboard measuring 40.5 cm x 30.5 cm.  it is in a private collection.  Dali wrote the date 1934 on the painting, though this is very strange as it looks much closer to his work of the early 1940s, such as Poetry of America (1943) and Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Man (1943); most likely Dali reversed the numbers (as he did on occasion) and the painting should be dated 1943.  It is dated 1943 in Robert Descharnes and Gilles Neret's book, Dali: The Paintings, and is not listed under the date 1934 in the Dali catalogue raisonne being compiled by the Fundacio Gala-Salvador Dali.  The plane is very likely an allusion to the US in World War II (another painting with a soft plane and vague political allusion is Daddy Longlegs of the Evening - Hope! [1941]).

All best,
Elliott  

Elliott H. King