Fine Art/Hudson River School Artist

Question
Unknown Hudson School Artist
Unknown Hudson School  
Hello Stuart,

I found your name and email address on all experts.com.  I was wondering if you could help me. The attached photograph is a self portrait of a Hudson River School artist purchased at an Antique Auction near Rhinebeck, NY in the late 70's.  As I recall the artist had a studio locally and other items were also sold. The oil painting on some kind of paper board had water damage along its lower edge. Unfortunately the artist signature was badly damaged and removed when my parents (now deceased) had it framed.  If you can be helpful in identifying this artist it would be appreciated.  The portrait is approximately 12 X 16 inches.  There is nothing on the back.

Thank You
Skip Acquaro  

Answer
Skip,
I have seen this picture before, but I can't recall where.

It is not a portrait of a Hudson River School artist from the days of the Hudson River School genre...simply too modern, but I do believe it is a self-portrait, and it is lodged in the recesses of my withering brain that it is.  

From the sitters dress, the style of painting, I would say this was done perhaps after 1930, and perhaps even after WWII.   I think your artist is much more a modern American artist...I will keep thinking about it...it is torturing me.  I know I've seen it, perhaps in a catalog raisonne or advertising a show.  

Have you tried contacting some of the museums in the Rhinebeck area?

Stu

Stuart Cartwright