Fine Art/Identify artist and painting

The oil painting is 11" by 15" inches. I forgot to take a photo of the back. The painting is on canvasboard and there is a piece of cardboard covering the back of the canvasboard. The frame is very heavy but is not gold leafed. It is just painted gold. The back of the frame has a metal nameplate from the frame company, that says Emery Bird Thayer Co. Kansas City, MO.
I googled it and it was a department store in Kansas City that opened in the 1860's and closed in 1968.
I can't make out a few letters of the artist's name, looks like F****may. What school or style is this painting

You have a painting I'd label "Fishing Boat Captain" or "Fisherman Portrait".  Looks like the old Gloucester fisherman, no?  

I do not have any insight as to your artist, though I spent some time pouring over artists' names beginning with "F".  Sorry.  Worth a couple hundred dollars...maybe?  Have a local pro get eyeballs directly on it.  

I agree...that frame does not add much.

Good luck,

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration