Fine Art/Signed Dali Lithograph

Hello, A friend asked me to get information on a signed Dali lithograph that his mother received as a gift in 1983. The litho is "The Wailing Wall" and comes with a certificate of authenticity from The Masters Inc. Gallery of Fine Arts in Sedona Arizona. It was appraised in Dec. 16, 1983 at $2,450. The litho is framed and is in very good condition. It is numbered E.A.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
All the best,
Aline Ridings

Dear Aline,

Thank you for your question.  Firstly, please note that I am neither an authenticator nor an appraiser myself, so any information I provide is based on books I own and the research of others.  I can give you some basic information on 'Wailing Wall', though you may want to seek out the services of a professional, especially if your friend is considering selling his work.

'Wailing Wall', also known as 'Mur des lamentations' #French#, is a lithograph based on a gouache by Dali.  According to Albert Field's book, 'The Complete Graphic Works of Salvador Dali', it was printed in 1978 by Art Graphique Internationale in Paris in an edition of 300: 1-250 on Arches paper, and I-L #Roman numerals# on Lavis Fidelis.  According to Bruce Hochman's 2007 Price Guide to Dali's graphic works, 'Wailing Wall' markets -- or marketed in 2007, as it were -- for $5,800.  Please note that I have found this book's estimates to be slightly higher than actual market value.  For an accurate evaluation, you would need to seek the services of a professional appraiser.

As you may know, there are a tremendous number of fake Dali graphics on the market.  For example, Field's catalogue notes a fraudulent series of 3000 'Wailing Wall' lithographs that were published on unbranded paper, sized 86 x 59 cm #image size is 67 x 55 cm# #note: the orginal lithograph should measure 41 x 29.5 cm on 76 x 56 cm paper#.  Field's catalogue does not mention any E.A. editions -- E.A. meaning 'epreuve d'artiste', or artist proofs, usually used to send to galleries --, which raises some suspicion in my own mind.  I understand your friend has a certificate of authenticity, but these, too, can be forged.  It is impossible for me to say anything about the work's legitimacy, though I would recommend having it examined by a professional.  Some options include the Salvador Dali Archives in New York, the Salvador Dali Society in Los Angeles, and Bernard Ewell, an appraiser based in Santa Fe.  Any of these individuals and organisations will be able to tell you more about the piece in question.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Kind regards,

Elliott H. King

As a professional art historian, I can answer questions related to the art and life of Salvador Dalí. I am neither an art broker nor an appraiser, so I cannot answer questions regarding a work's value or authenticity; however, I can refer you to individuals who work in the Dali market.

I am an art historian specializing in Salvador Dalí. For over ten years, I have been a pioneer in the critical study of ‘Late Dalí’ (i.e., the artist's work after 1940). I have presented extensively on aspects of Dalí’s production at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Tate Modern, L’Université de Lausanne, Cerisy la Salle, the University of London, and Harvard University, and I have been a guest lecturer at Cambridge University and the University of Chicago. I have published several essays about Dalí in addition to my book, 'Dalí, Surrealism, and Cinema' (Kamera Books, 2007). I have also contributed to major international exhibitions of Dalí's work, including the Dalí Centenary Exhibition (2004-05) and 'Dalí & Film' (2007-08).

BOOKS "Dalí: The Late Work", High Museum of Art, Atlanta in association with Yale UP, 2010. "Dalí, Surrealism and Cinema", Kamera Books, Herts (UK), 2007. ESSAYS, ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS • “Little Black Dress, Little Red Book: Dalí, Mao, and Monarchy (with Special Attention to Trajan’s Glorious Testicles)”, in Michael R. Taylor (ed.), The Dalí Renaissance: New Perspectives on His Life and Art after 1940, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, 2008, pp. 90111. • “The Prodigious Story of the Lacemaker and the Rhinoceros”, in ibid, pp. 190204. • “Crazy Movies That Disappear”, in Matthew Gale (ed.), Dalí and Film, Tate Publishing, London / Museum of Modern Art, New York, 2007, pp. 214229. Published also in Spanish as "Dalí y el cine", Electa, Madrid, 2008. • “Le temps dalínien fait mouche: Réflexions sur les « montres molles »”, in Astrid Ruffa, Philippe Kaenel, Danielle Chaperon (eds.), "Salvador Dalí à la croisée des savoirs", Éditions Desjonquères, Paris, 2007, pp. 3752. • “Winged Fantasy with Lead Feet: The Influence of Llullism and Hiparxiologi on Dalí’s Mysticism”, in Hank Hine, William Jeffett and Kelly Reynolds (eds.), "Persistence & Memory: New Critical Perspectives on Dalí at the Centennial", Bompiani Arte, Milan, 2004, pp. 189193. EXHIBITION CATALOGUES: ENTRIES • Dawn Ades and Michael R. Taylor (eds.), "Dalí", Bompiani Arte, Milan, 2004. EXHIBITION CATALOGUES: BIBLIOGRAPHIES, FILMOGRAPHIES AND CHRONOLOGIES • “Dalí Filmography”, published in Matthew Gale (ed.), "Dalí and Film", op.cit., pp. 230231. • “A Cinematic Chronology of Dalí, 19411989”, in ibid, pp. 160163. • Compiled the most complete bibliography of Dalí resources todate, published in Dawn Ades and Michael R. Taylor (eds.), "Dalí", op.cit., pp. 568598.

Ph.D, Art History and Theory (2010) University of Essex, Colchester, England M.A. with Distinction in Dissertation, History of Art (2001) Courtauld Institute of Art, London, England B.A. summa cum laude, Art History (hons., Phi Beta Kappa) University of Denver, Denver, Colorado