Fine Art/Signed S Dali Lithograph

Question
I have a numbered and signed Salvadore Dali lithograph purchased in NY over 30 years ago.  It was damaged by Hurricane Rita and has water and rust stains. Is there any hope of salvaging this piece?  The water ran down the walls, got the hardware wet on the back and due to being locked up in a wet, humid, house for a month the hardware rusted and leached onto the artwork. If so, we might consider it due to the fact we would like to sell it. We had no help from the insurance company. We are one of many.  Thank you and kindest regards, Deborah

Answer
Dear Deborah,

Thank you for your question, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation!  

Art conservators can do amazing things to repair damaged works of art, though the process is often expensive and I believe water damage is one of the more difficult problems to remedy.  You will want to consult an art conservator, preferably one who specializes in works on paper.  Your local art museum should be able to recommend someone, or you might google 'art conservation' and see if any businesses or university programs are nearby. Please do not attempt any repairs yourself, as you are likely to do more damage!

As you may be interested in selling your work, you may wish to have your Dali examined and appraised in order to weigh whether conservation is worth the expense.  Dali graphics vary wildly in price, and conservation could easily cost more than the value of the lithograph #esp. given the great number of forged graphics out there#. I can provide you with some rudimentary information, though I recommend consulting a specialist in Dali graphics; possibilities include #but are not limited to# Bernard Ewell in Santa Fe, NM, the Salvador Dali Society in Los Angeles, CA, and the Salvador Dali Archives in New York.

I hope this is helpful.  Good luck!
Kind regards,
Elliott

Elliott H. King