Fine Art/Dali, Ceasar in Dalivision

Question
Dear Mr Twyman,

I am a third generation art collector of over 35 years. Can you explain with your opinion why Ceasar in Dalivision has been judged by a few of the art world experts to be a fake just because it was not included in the authorized works of Dali? I have researched the entire Internet and have not found anything that provides adaquate proof these numbered and signed lithographs to be fake. Only accusations by the US government. The owners of Barclay Galleries were accused but why is this negative information advertised without any results of a trial or judgement? Is it possible Salvadore Dali did not confer with his agent his approval of the Caesar in Dalivision issue? The signatures on these lithographs appear to be original as compared to others in my collection. It appears to me after extensive research that the owners of the Barclay Gallery upset someone that had a monetary or other motive. I would like to clear this up once and for all. Warm Regards, Phil Rimer  

Answer
For the work to be authentic, there needs to be a contract between the publisher and the artist.
As there were many knockoffs of Dali's works, this issue has become the first topic when we discuss Dali with potential collectors or new clients. I have seen some of the titles sold by Barclay back in the 80's, all were known fakes. Barclay was selling low end works and trying to pass them off as the real thing.  I can send you to a few experts that have the final word in Dali, but I suspect you will be throwing away $$ if you pay the fees to have the piece authenticated.

What we do here is to send all works to outside experts that are known in the Dali market. We do not do "inhouse paperwork" as that is a conflict of interests.  Many galleries generate certificates from their own computers, so the buyer is trusting the same person that is charging them $$ for the art. I tell all collectors to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion before paying the dealer.

Dan

Dan Twyman