Fine Art/Harrison Fisher watercolor

Question
Dear Stuart,
 I believe that I have an original Harrison Fisher watercolor signed and dated 1908.  It is of a girl and her horse. It measures 9x7, and it appears to be in excellent condition. Also in the same frame are two sperate pictures of horse heads, one on either side of the Fisher.  The frame appears to be original.  I'm not sure if the side horse pictures are also from him. They do have letters on them that could be "VON" or "YON". Any information would be greatly appreciated or if you know of someone in NH that could take a look at it, yourself included, please let me know.  Thank you.

Answer
Best known for his "Girls"...like "Gibson Girls" Harrison's renderings of beautiful young women appeared in many national publications.  I don't know anything about the side pictures.  His signature is a rather elaborate full named signature, so it is easily recognizable....horizontal swooshes and such.  His watercolor portraits have brought a wide range of prices at auction, depending largely on detail and elaborate nature of the subject.  Best to consult someone local who can aid you. Go see The Cobbs in Peterborough, or perhaps Ronald Bourgeault at Northeast Auctions in Portsmouth.  

Here is some background info found online....
"When he died in 1934, George M. Cohan delivered Fisher’s eulogy. Harrison Fisher’s estate was valued at $297,061, excluding real estate in Westport, Connecticut and California. The paintings were valued very low as it was explained that illustrations had already been paid for and were published and therefore “are practically of very little value”. Fisher himself believed that they had little resale value. Some one hundred and thirteen pictures were appraised at $565 and fifty-three pen and ink drawings were valued at $159.

After his death, a relative kept a few paintings and burned over nine hundred of his remaining artworks, at his request."

Best of luck,
Stu

Stuart Cartwright