Fine Art/Painting of the Virgin Mary

Question
Full picuter of painting
Full picuter of painti  
I received a painting by a previous owner for a house wrming gift in 1997 when I closed on teh house; she was in her 80's I think. the owners faimily was in the house since 1904. Her father pruchased the painting soon after they bought the house. she remebers it was here as long as she can remember and remembered that she thought it was done by an American artist. I live in dayton ohio; Huffman historical District. the painting is 4ft by 5ft., oil, the canvas is thin and looks old, the strecher  is of old wood and i think pegged. I took the frame off because someone had put the not original fram on wrong. I had asked Mt. Saint John; Rev. Johann Rotten about it by email; with piactures, and he thought the artist was from the period 1854/1904 celebrations of the dogma of the Immaculate Conceptio. He thought the Facila expersion and hair seem to have some pre-Raphaelite, even Nazarene qualities.  I will atach soem pictures. I can not find a signature, I am afraid to clean it because is is so old. If you can tell me more about who the artist is or where I can find out I would appreciate it.

Answer
I'd suggest:
(1) Don't clean it. Especially if you wish to sell it. Dealers would prefer pieces in original condition.
(2) You might wish to consult the Cincinnati Art Gallery, experts in 19th century art.

You may have a local Ohioan artist, best to consult with local pros.

Best of luck,
Stu

Stuart Cartwright