Fine Art/Renouf, Emile oil painting

My friend Greta, an elderly German woman, has an old, large, and quite beautiful original oil signed "Renouf" and appears to be an extraordinary forgery of a painting usually referred to as "A Helping Hand."  Is is possible that Renouf painted several of these, or is it more likely the result of an observant student, would you guess?

Hi Gregory,

The unique oil painting from the late 19th century, "Un coup de main (The Helping Hand)" by Renouf, is a beautiful work of a man rowing a boat with the help of a young girl, probably a father-daughter relation. As far as I know, it is a unique work. And according to Sotheby's auction records, it sold in 1997 for $1,000,000 . It measures exactly 152.5x226 cm .

If you would like a more definite appraisal of the work, you can contact Sothebys auction house. If there is one near where you live, you can also take it to a Bonham's Valuation Day . I hope this helps, and good luck to you!

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University