Fine Art/J Miller - Artist

Eric wrote at 2010-01-20 06:01:20
Hi

My name is Eric I to have this very same Artist and matching scene on canvace also same period costum have had painting in my pocetion for +/-28 years

kevin wrote at 2010-02-01 22:55:15
i also have a painting by this artist - the same sort of sence with the backs of two women on the beach - signed just J Miller - i would love to know who this artis is and the years he painted ect. I found my in a charity shop in Gorsehill, England thanks kevin

Derek wrote at 2010-03-22 16:17:50
I also have an oil painting similar to the one shown, it has a bar code on the frame, which would suggest that it is modern.

Charity wrote at 2010-04-13 01:30:34
Yesterday I purchased very similar oil on canvas painting. The painting I have seems to be a little more detailed... But it has almost the same three figures, and with difference of a lighthouse. I bought my painting Prince Edward Island, Canada. Would the artist be John Miller. The signature on yours is exact as mine. Let me know if you found out any more.

Kim wrote at 2010-04-16 15:57:40
I also have a painting with exactly the same signature. I bought it about 15 years ago from an art shop in Paisley, Scotland. It is also a beach scene of the back of a woman looking out to sea dressed in victorian style clothes holding a parasol and a basket of flowers. There is also a lighthouse in the distance. I've loved this painting for years.

Kim, Scotland

john wrote at 2010-05-02 14:17:18
i also have two similiar paintings with exact artist, any information i would love!!they are beautiful paintings...

VALERIE wrote at 2010-05-14 21:09:37
I also have this painting with the ladies and light house. I bought it four years ago in Cape May...

Gary wrote at 2010-06-13 20:38:28
I have the same  painting of 2 woman no lighthouse signed J Miller In Florida. has anyone found this artist? Thanks Gary

Vicki wrote at 2010-07-04 19:49:28
Hi

We have beach scene with two ladies and two children with a lighthouse in the distance, signed J Miller.

Betty wrote at 2010-07-20 19:09:47
I purchased a picture of beach scene,3 ladies,3 girls,lighthouse,sail boats,victorian dress. Tampa, Fl. second hand store. Betty

Jackie wrote at 2010-08-18 21:24:17
Hi, Looks like i've just bought one in an auction sale, in Shropshire 2 ladies in vicorian dress with flower baskets on a beach. Would love info.

JMiller wrote at 2010-09-11 23:07:28
I have the same paintings that I purchased at a charity shop 2 ladies/2 kids/light house(24x36). I have seen similiar paintings for ebay for $70/-  

jhoppe wrote at 2010-11-06 21:02:10
I just picked up two very similar paintings with the exact same signature at a garage sale in Florida. I'm surprised by how worldwide the responses have been to this post. I'd love to learn more about the artist as well. The wood frames seem pretty modern (with staple gun staples) if that helps anyone.

Chris.md wrote at 2010-11-23 17:13:06
I have just bought a similar oil painting in Bangor, N.Ireland.

I has two ladies a lighthouse, six gulls. they are watching a yaught race in victorian clothing.

diane wrote at 2010-12-21 18:10:07
I just purchased the same painting on canvas. J Miller signed on left bottom. Bought at a second hand store in Pittsburgh Pa.

shani wrote at 2011-01-18 04:26:27
Hello, I too have done some research on this artist.  His name is J Miller. Several years ago I purchased a painting very similar to the one you did. His painting are Victorian Seascapes from the late 1800's and/or early 1900's. He lived in Scotland and some of his paintings were auctioned in the 1990's in London and Amsterdam. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any other info about his art. I was excited to see the familiarity of your painting to the one I have.  

cass wrote at 2011-01-22 20:38:44
I have a picture very very similar also same artist and would love to know who he is, i love the painting i have.Also from scotland so possibly a local artist (greenock)

Karen wrote at 2011-02-05 19:46:50
I also have a painting by J. Miller but of one woman, boat and a lighthouse. We are from Illinois, USA  

Betty wrote at 2011-02-19 00:04:00
I have a painting by this artist.  I bought it in Memphis, Tennessee, USA, about 25 years ago.  It's of a young woman in a white Victorian dress and hat with pink ribbons.  She's carrying a basket of flowers and is on a beach.  She appears to be looking over the ocean/bay towards a town/village with mountains behind it.  I would love to know more about the artist.

bouvinet wrote at 2011-04-03 07:52:00
I am french living near Biarritz (Fr) in possession of a very similar painting from J. Miller. Same landscape on the seashore with two women, regates and a lighthouse. I can send you the picture.

Claude Bouvinet

Beaglebum wrote at 2011-05-18 21:15:42
I have just purchased picture by j miller from arunel w.Sussex. Beach scene, lady with parasol , 2 children in distance, lighthouse, looking out to yacht race. Unfortunately it would seem they are by 'modern' artist attempting repro's. Staples in back of canvas are a give away.  They are very beatuiful and should be admired.  Also purchased 2nd picture that looks identical brush work, same sort of scene, but signed by different artist!

Would be lovely if I am wrong but very pleased that so many people are enjoying them.  

Susan wrote at 2011-10-13 16:08:02
I also have a painting very similar.  Did you find anything out about the author?

C.McD. wrote at 2011-11-27 22:48:40
have similar painting, 2victorian ladies, lighthouse and regatta in background,  signed J. Miller. bought in charity shop, Naas co. kildare Ireland.Looks new!!!!!any info re J. Miller would be wecome.

coast girl wrote at 2012-02-19 13:24:34
I also have a very similar painting - bought in a job lot of paintings at an auction in Newark Notts a few years ago.

Beach scene, 2 groups comprising of a lady and child in each, dressed in victorian dress with parasols. A lighthouse in the background, sladies  2 children- one lady carrying a basket of flowers. 8 gulls, 11 boats. an old boat on the beach and lost of flotsham and wild flowers. Signed J. Miller in right hand corner.

Modern frame and stapled. It is a very happy scene and a  lovely painting

Amanda wrote at 2012-04-16 02:13:23
Just was wondering if you ever found anything out about this artist and the painting?

Take care

Amanda

Darrell wrote at 2012-04-20 16:59:41
I have the same exact oil painting here in Atlanta GA, which I acquired when I recently purchased a house. It is very large but in a much more elaborate frame. Looks like it must have been mass produced some how!

Tracy Watkins wrote at 2012-05-05 13:28:43
The artist looks to be j miller born in london and dies 2002 john miller who loved painting cornish scenes mostly of victorian looking ladies with lighthouses in the background.

Tracy Watkins wrote at 2012-05-17 07:31:35
The artist is john miller born in london and died in 2002. He painted mostly cornish scenes and also loved painting the isles of scicilly. He has paintings still being sold in st ives galleries cornwall. In the 70's his pictures of beach scenes were known worldwide and were mass produced as prints for cards posters ect. There is also another j miller which is james miller and it can get very confuseing getting the j miller information as they are both artists but the lighthouse and edwardian ladies on the beach scenes are john miller.

Carol wrote at 2012-07-23 04:31:47
Hi, Ed I live canada.I also have the same picture . Given to me from a family member in Boyton Florida. How ever It seems to me the lady is facing the oppiste way. I also has lighthouse ect. Same signature. I have turned one of my bedrooms into a Victorian because I love the picture.

Thanks carol

sandra wrote at 2012-11-25 19:42:42
How about J. Miller I have a similar painting  with lighthouse in back round on left side of picture.

Sarge736 wrote at 2014-03-25 07:31:08
It may possibly be an early water colour by J Nina Miller-Davidson 1895-1957 who studied at the Glasgow Group in the early 20th Century. I have an oil painting she signed as J Nina Davidson 1918.  She may have signed it as J Miller before she was married.   She married Charles Lamb Davidson 1897-1948 who also studied at the Glasgow Group. So apparently they met and then married while at the Glasgow Group.  She also studied in Italy and Paris.  Together they were painters, stained glass artists and interior artists. These are some examples of her work.

http://www.arcadja.com/auctions/en/miller_j__nina/artist/127883/

You can find examples of her water colurs under the name J Miller Davidson also.  

Doug wrote at 2014-04-16 18:31:28
I have 3 similar paintings with identical coloring, brush strokes, and the same girls staring out to sea.  Mine are signed by P. Watkins and T. Malize (can't read the 3rd signature).  I suspect they are "mass" produced and signed with several different names, including J Miller, probably by art students or aspiring artists trying to make some steady income.

R. wrote at 2015-02-08 12:24:45
I've got an oil painting from J Miller too. Two Ladies on the beach, one Kid, watching Boat race, little harbour on the right with disappearing mist.

Any idea who this artist is???????

Katie wrote at 2015-03-07 04:13:12
Hi both

I have this exact same painting with the two smaller ones to match

It's by a J miller  

narima wrote at 2015-04-24 18:35:00
Bonjour avez vous des news sur ce tableau evans j ai presque le même que vous signé J. Miller

artiegto wrote at 2016-01-29 21:10:56
I have the same painting and it is  J Miller signed and in great condition. It is 5 ft x 3.5 ft and has a wonderful frame. Awesome painting which I love. I`d love to know the value  

Andrew Evans