Fine Art/Heywood Hardy Print

Question
In the early '80's I purchased a fox hunt print by Heywood Hardy named, "Breaking Covert".  The printed area alone measures 12" x 18".  I would like to know if it's a reproduction and/or if it's of any value.  I looked closely with a jeweler's loup and magnifying glass, but could see no dots. It almost looks as though it was hand-tinted or it's a watercolor.  The very bright orange-reds of the jackets look super-imposed and are much brighter than the rest of the print.  Colors are predominantly black, white, brown, aqua blue (even the grass and background trees are blue), and the orange-red of the jackets. It's in an old, tattered birds-eye maple veneer frame with papered back.  I'm afraid to remove the print from the frame.  The matte has a few water spots.  Under the picture on the bottom left, it reads, Painted by Hardy.  There is a signature on the bottom right in the print, and I can't tell if it's just part of the print, that reads, Heywood Hardy, with the date, 18??.  I cannot read the last 2 digits.  I'd really like to know if I should keep it or sell it at my next garage sale.  

Answer
Dear Jane,

From your description it sounds like you have a hand colored engraving after the painting "Breaking Covert" by Heywood Hardy. However yours is much smaller than the one I found online. Do you see plate marks (impression around the border)on the paper? If not an engraving it is probably a lithograph.

The value on the print can range from $50 to $200. The larger size of 22" x 31" is the upper end of value.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly  

Dolly D Headley