Fine Art/Rembrant Night Watch, copper plate

Question
I have a numbered section of copper plate, etched as probably by Wilhelm Unger, part of large etching of the Night Watch by Rembrant. Require any further info on this and possible where abouts of other sections from the same plate.or why it was cut as distributed sections

Answer
Robin Hood, as you may know Night Watch is one of Rembrandt's most famous paintings. It was a commissioned work made in the mid-1600s. To my knowledge, there are no etchings of this work in existence. Very often, the plate of an etching is scored with a big X or crushed into pieces so that there will be no more of that etching made. It is possible that this Wilhelm Unger made an etching of the painting, and you have a piece of that plate that was destroyed. Although, I do not see any mention of it in catalog or auction records.

Sincerely,

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans