Fine Art/Salvador Dali Prints

Question
I have recently came across 3 Salvador Dali Prints and was curious if you could tell me a little bit about each one and possibly if they are worth anything. All 3 have certificates of authenticity from Patrician Galleries Inc.
The first one is titled "Lincoln in Dalivision", edition 20/990 and is plate signed. The 2nd one is called "Tarot Card", edition 990 and is signed. The 3rd is titled "The Discus Thrower" print is an etching, edition 175 and is signed by hand. So if you know anything about these I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!  

Answer
Dear Kurt,  

Thank you for your question. Firstly, I am neither an authenticator nor an appraiser myself, so my information is based wholly on others' research.  For a proper appraisal -- and, indeed, to determine the works' authenticity --, I recommend seeking the opinion of a professional who specialises in Dali's graphics.  Options include the Salvador Dali Archives in New York at http://daliarchives.com/, the Salvador Dali Society in Los Angeles at http://www.dali.com, and/or Bernard Ewell in Santa Fe, NM at http://www.bernardewell.com/.

The three prints to which you refer are quite dubious.  As you may know, there are a great number of fake Dalis on the market, and most have certificates of authenticity attached (even certificates of authenticity can be forged).  

'Lincoln in Dalivision' is based on two paintings Dali executed, both titled 'Gala Looking at the Mediterranean Sea which at a Distance of 20 Meters is Transformed into the Portrait of Abraham Lincoln #Homage to Rothko#'.  According to Albert Field's 'Complete Graphic Works of Salvador Dali', the image was published in 1977 by Levine %26 Levine in an edition of 1240, of which 65 are HC #hors de commerce -- not for sale, used for galleries and such#.  According to Bruce Hochman's 2007 'Annual Print Price Guide to the Graphic Works of Salvador Dali', an original intaglio of this image would market for $26,300.  This said, 'Lincoln in Dalivision' has been an extremely counterfeited image.  Field notes four different counterfeited editions created between 1977 and 1984, though there may be others.  None of these counterfeited editions is numbered to 990, but none of the authentic editions is numbered to 990 either.  Thus your edition size is disconcerting. There were two editions of posters published in 1980 -- by the Salvador Dali Museum in Florida and the Teatre-Museu Dali in Figueres --, but neither was in a numbered edition as you describe.  

Dali did design a suite of Tarot cards in 1976, though none is titled simply 'Tarot card', and none was in a numbered edition of 990.  Also, none are described as having an original signature, though this would definitely have to be examined by a professional.

Finally, 'Discus Thrower' -- also knows as 'Victorious Athlete' or 'Cosmic Athlete' -- is likely to be an 'after' print by Gilbert Hamon from 1980.  Field does not specify an edition of 175, but many prints would made of this image.  If the print in question is indeed made by Hamon, Dali did not have any hand in making the images nor did he sign them.  The image is based on the artist's 1968 painting, 'The Cosmic Athlete'.  

All are lovely images suitable for framing but are not necessarily good investments.  I hope this is helpful, and, again, you may wish to seek the counsel of a professional appraiser.  Good luck!

Kind regards,
Elliott

Elliott H. King