Fine Art/Salvador Dali Prints

Brent W Thomas wrote at 2012-03-21 19:13:40
I am inclined to believe your report on "Victorious Athlete" as being a fake. I purchased this "limited edition" print from Center Art Gallery in Hawaii in the mid 80's. They also had the "Lincoln In DaliVision" as well ( a nice looking work). After some years I contacted them about getting a refund on the print. Their response was "we don't buy art objects back again". When I told them what Dali work I was talking about they said that was their Only exception and I eventually did get my money back on it...so I suspect they too knew it was a fake. I could NEVER find this print in any catalog of known Dali work so that too was a clue. I was lucky to get my $$ back again.

Nice article....thanks for the good info.

Brent wrote at 2013-07-24 19:24:07
While doing my own research I found some very disturbing facts that even goes beyond the excellent response from Elliott. In the mid 80's I purchased 2 of the so-called Victorious Athlete by Dali from what I thought was a reputable art gallery...namely Centre Art Gallery of Oahu, HA. After a couple years of ownership I grew suspisious of the art work when I could not find it listed in any of the reputable books of Dali works.

Luckily I was able to contact Centre Art Gallery and they refunded my money when I returned the prints. The Art Gallery has since gone out of business in 1995 and the principle owners were sentenced to prison for art fraud. But even more distubing is the allegation that Dali himself was an accomplice to this crime. He was paid 100's of $1000's to sign 1000's of BLANK sheets of art quality paper that was later printed with just about any image the crooks wanted and could assign the work to Dali. Unfortunately this also included my Victorious Athlete, Lincoln in DaliVision, Tarot Cards and who knows how many others. The art broker and many, many art dealers across the country were involved in the fraud that collected many Millions of $$$ for the crooks and lined their pockets with the dollars of hard working and trusting public.

Buyer beware...please see this link for credibility of my claim.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/November-2011/Confessions-of-Art-Frau

PS > I also may be the current owner of a fake Anthony Quinn print (also bought from Centre Art Gallery) which is also mentioned in the article.

Elliott H. King