Fine Art/Alex Dzigurski Sr.

Question
I have a 24"x48" seascape by the subject artist that I acquired in 1972 from the gallery in Carmel, Calif. that represented Mr. Dzigurski at that time.  It is oil on canvass and is signed by the artist. It is in excellent condition.  Can you give me some idea of what it is worth and who I can contact should I desire a formal appraisal.

Answer
William,
The record price of $8,400 (including buyer's premium) was achieved in 2007 at:
Coeur D'Alene Auction
P.O. Box 310
Hayden, ID  83835
Phone: 208-772-9009
cdaartauction@cdaartauction.com
www.cdaartauction.com

This was for a beautiful seascape, interesting light throughout the painting, heavy surf, and mint condition.  

This sale was an outlier as most of his seascape pictures of this size have sold between $2,000 - $4,000.   

There are at least half a dozen gallery owners in Carmel looking to buy Dzigurski, Sr pictures, I suggest you send a digital picture of what you have to them.  Any could give you a formal appraisal.  I would also suggest Bonhams as an outstanding auction house, and that a picture entered into one of their California sales might do well.  

Bonhams & Butterfields San Francisco
220 San Bruno Avenue
San Francisco, CA  94103
Phone: 415-861-7500
mason.thune@bonhams.com
www.bonhams.com/us/  

Best regards,
Stu at Cartwright Fine Art  

Stuart Cartwright