Fine Art/Chiquita Mueller?

Question
Oil Painting
Oil Painting  
I have inherited an oil painting on canvas from my grandfather. He bought it in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1963. He wrote on the back of the frame, "Cathedrals" by Chiquita Mueller. The signature at the bottom right corner of the painting reads the same name.

What is this thing? It it worth getting restored and do you know anything about this artist? I have exhausted all means of finding any information on her and don't really know what I have. I like it, but don't know if I should spend a lot of money getting it rehab'ed (there are some small cracks forming).

Thanks for anything you can give me on this!

Answer
I will give you a quick and honest answer.  I cannot help you with "Chiquita Mueller."  I do not follow modern artists, nor European artists.  

I can look up names in Art reference books and online databases, and did do this for you...but to no avail.  I can find no record of a "Chiquita Mueller".  Or "Chiquita Muller".  Or anyone named "Mueller."
So, dead-end here, I am afraid.

As for restoration, look up "art conserveration" or "art conservator" and see if you can find someone local.  Usually gallery owners or local museums will have good suggestions.  Generally conservators are freelancers who will take in work on an individual basis.  It might cost from $500-$1,000 depending on how much work is to be done.  Usually a light (stress: light) cleaning and a resetting of the canvas including fresh varnish will do wonders, and "craquelure" can be flattened.  A relining of the canvas detracts from value, as does any inpainting (filling in cracks or spaces that have flaked off.)

Don't be afraid to take your painting out to show dealers, gallery owners, conservators.  They will help.

Best of luck, and foremost...enjoy your original artwork...no matter who the artist is or what the monetary value may be.  (I rather like it, too.)

Best,
Stu  

Stuart Cartwright