Fine Art/Gustave Wiegand

I have one of his works. I don't know the name, nor the value. It's been in the family since between 1965-1970.
The image is attached; do you know the name of it and its value?

JR Reed,
Congratulations, I believe you may have original artwork by a listed German-American artist.  I will attach Wiegand's bio below.  Wiegand did many paintings in upstate New York's Adirondack's mountains, including many of Blue Mountain Lake.  He is also known for his still life pictures, most all of which are floral arrangements just like yours.  

In general, his landscapes have done better at auction than the still lifes, with a record price for a very large landscape at $6,600.  The record for a pristine still life is $4,400 in 2004.  More generally, the still life floral bouquets bring anywhere from $250 to about $1,600.  Much depends upon condition and size.  Your composition looks very good, but I see possible areas of concern (though the photo makes it difficult to see clearly the condition).  

Lastly, I should tell you that all his original works were on canvas, and there have been many reproductions made of his paintings.  You should be able to tell quickly by looking closely at the reverse ... is this work on a canvas?  (can you see the weave...the texture?) Or is this on paper...and probably a lithograph?  Many lithographs have small stamps at the bottom of the picture near the signature.  

For that it signed?  I would assume since you know it is Wiegand it is.  It this on the front or on the reverse?  

If you'd like to send me more photos, or information, please use to do so.  Along with info about the picture, tell me where you are and I can send you the name of a reputable art dealer or auction house where you can seek more information.  

Gustave Wiegand was born in Bremen, Germany in 1870. Wiegand studied at the Royal Academy in Berlin and The Royal Academy of Dresden and also worked under Eugen Bract and William Merritt Chase in New York. He belonged to the Salmagundi Club, the Allied Artists of America, and the New York Society of painters.

His works are in the collections of the Brooklyn Museum, the National Arts Club in New York City, and the Newark Museum. During his career, he won numerous prizes and medals while exhibiting at the National Academy of Design from 1894-1900 (prize 1905), the St. Louis Exposition of 1904 (medal), the Allied Artists of America in 1937 (prize), and the World's Fair in St. Louis (medal).

He also exhibited at the Art Institute of Chicago, the Corcoran Gallery in Washington, D.C. annual for 1907-1908, the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art Annual Exhibit 1900-1910, 1916, the Society of Independent Artists in 1917, and the Salons of America. Wiegand died in Old Chatham, New York in 1957.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration