Fine Art/Hudson River School painting?

I believe my painting is a Hudson River painting. It does not have its original frame, but one framed by Forbes & Wallace, Pictures and Framing, Springfield, Mass. This frame had black paper on the frame and across the stretcher ofthe painting. Once we removed the frame, we noticed that it has been cleaned. Also, we found small written text on the side of the canvas that we can not make out. This text is between 1/6" and 1/8" high. Any ideas of the artist or location? Or how to proceed to find out more about the painting?
Thank you in advance.

I would say you have a Hudson River School style painting.  I would very much like to assist you.  Can you email to me your very best resolution photographs of: (1)the front (2) the entire backside (3) any areas with possible signature or inscription.  As you are aware, most digital cameras will allow you to adjust to "Super Fine" or "Hi-Res" with a large format resolution.  The more pixels the better, the more megabytes the better.  

Also, how did you come by this painting?  Any thoughts as to its provenance?  

Let me know what the dimensions of the painting are.  

Looks like a beauty.  Yes, Forbes & Wallace were merchants that began a department store empire of sorts in Springfield, MA in the late nineteenth century.  Your frame may be original to the painting, but it might not be a very flattering one, I'm guessing.  Are you in the New England area?  

I have a few first guesses as to scene and artist, but I'd like to see more.  Thanks for sharing.

Stu Cartwright  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration