Fine Art/Identifying Oil Painting

Oil Painting of Rosary, Book, and Candle
Oil Painting of Rosary  
I have an oil painting that I am wondering if you would be able to help me identify, or at least give me an idea as to how I might go about looking for information. I have been searching on the Internet as a favor to my Pastor (age 75), who has had three painting left to him by an aunt from New York State.  

Nice of you to do this.  Looks like a nice oil, perhaps on board if I can read the surface correctly. I would date this to the 1930s perhaps, but that is just a guess.  

Can you make out the signature?  Looks like perhaps it starts with a V or a U? Can you make it out? Are there any inscriptions (sometimes in pencil) on the back or the frame.  The frame looks original to the painting.  

If you'd like to send me pictures of the three paintings do so at  If you can get (1) a closeup non-blurry photo of the signature (2) a full shot of the front and (3) a full shot of the back of each painting -- that will help.  Also, any best guesses you have as to signature, where the painting came from, etc.  

If you give me the state you live in, I can also help direct you to a professional near you who can examine the painting in person.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration