Fine Art/Juster gallery piece

Question
Lo Slater Gouache
Lo Slater Gouache  
QUESTION: Hi. I have a gouache piece, titled Tower #1 original gouache by Lo SLATER. It has a sticker/info on back from Juster Gallery, NY. I did some research and found this to be a famous gallery in the mid-century which housed/exhibited many masters you mention in your expertise, i.e. Miro, Picasso... Juster is now closed and I have found nothing online about this particular artist. I am very unfamiliar with how the art world works, so my questions are sort of generic:
Because an artist's piece was part of a gallery exhibition amongst very famous artists, does that mean there was a demand at the time for that artist? does it make the artist more notable? or "automatically" make a piece more valuable? Basically, exactly what, if anything does being part of a major exhibition mean for an artist or their work?? It just seems odd that this piece would be shown amongst infamous artists work, yet I can find no other mentions of this artist. Also, there is a few spots on the artwork and the mat is water damaged, luckily the art isn't really damaged under mat, is it possible to get rid of the spots / restore a gouache painting?
I am very curious to learn about all of the above, but of course I also have to ask; do you by any chance know of, or how I may research this artist, Lo SLATER? thanks so so much for any help!

ANSWER: You might want to search for art restoration in your area and take it to them and get an opinion.

As for the artist, I checked my published artists guides and do not find that name??

Dan

QUESTION: hi again. thanks so much for your help.
Again, it seems odd to me that this piece would be shown amongst infamous artists work, yet this artist is unknown. (my friend suggested it may be the gallery owners relative!!!!!) I buy/own what I like without understanding much about the art world...

So, I hope you can answer some more questions regarding how the art world works...
Because an artist's piece was part of a gallery exhibition does that usually make an artist more notable? or "automatically" make a piece more valuable?
Basically, exactly what, if anything does being part of a major exhibition mean for an artist or their work??
For instance, the artist Pino, I note his work is in so many NYC galleries; does that mean anything other than his work is poular now? Does it meant that in the future his work may be more popular or more valuable?  

I guess to sum it up my question is; other than the obvious "talent" what makes an artist a household name whose works are worth so much? i.e. If Dali lived in the woods and no one saw his paintings while he was alive, would they be as popular? what makes an artist so huge?

any insight into the art world and gallery exhibitions is greatly appreciated.
thanks so much again.

Answer
Dali is known worldwide because his works were sought after by well known museums and included in museum exhibits for permanent display.

If an artist has one showing with well known artists and then no publishers show interest in publishing limited edition works and there are no future museum exhibits or high end gallery showings, then the artist will fade into obscurity.

Dan

Dan Twyman