Fine Art/Newton oil painting

Question
My Mother in law has a oil painting (i think) it is signed Newton in the left bottom corner.The T in Newton goes accross the entire name. She told me her mother gave it to her in the 1960's. It is painted on what looks like a board. The painting is of a water scene with birds and trees the colors are mostly oranges and reds. The board is held on with small nails, it has a very nice frame, she says it is the one that has always been with the painting. I did see Newton paintings from the Highway men but i cant find the same signature. Any info would be great Thanks Becky

Answer
Becky,
Without seeing the painting, I am a bit in the dark, but water-birds-trees sound like Florida Highwaymen.  And of course, you have three Newton's to choose from:  Sam, Lemuel and Harold.  An orange/red palette does not conjure up Florida scenes in my mind, but that alone does not rule out one of these men.  I have not seen one of their pictures signed as you described, but you should continue to research this possibility.  Highwaymen pictures were done on masonite and other heavy board-like material...so your picture may be the real deal.  The old frame with the small nails is a good clue suggesting it is old.  I hope the nails aren't shiny new brads.  You must be careful, because eBay (not a terrific place to purchase fine art) is chock-a-block full of Highwaymen fakes.  Get good digital pictures of your artwork, up close and in focus if possible, to show brushstrokes and signature, and get these photos to one of the many Floridian fine art galleries who deal in the Highwaymen.  

See also:  http://highwaymeninfo.com/Highwaymen_Guide.html

In the meantime, your mother-in-law should enjoy the artwork!

Stu

Stuart Cartwright